.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, May 20, 2005

 

Birthdays and Friends

Ah the inevitable birthday that comes around once a year whether you like it or not. My good friend Shannon turns 19 today and I wish her the very best of birthdays. She has been looking forward to her birthday for awhile now. She is still excited to add another year to her age. And this one will be her last one as a teenager. I remember feeling much the same way in those years in my life and they are a treasure forever. Happy birthday, Shannon! Treasure this one forever. :<) (note the posted time below)



As for my outlook toward my own birthday these days, I don't share that same enthusiasm for the additional year. I don't really dread the birthday either. Not since I turned 30 have I really paid much attention to my birthday. Turning 30 bothered me. I guess I realized that year what getting older meant and I didn't want to think about it anymore.

These days I have simply come to think of it as just another day in my life, not really different than any other day. I am quite happy to be approaching 54 and still in very good health despite having once been a smoker for 15 years, a heavy drinker for 20 years and a poor eater for about as long. I do exercise, practice yoga and breathing and try to pay attention to what my body tells me when it feels wrong. That has to help.

But what I think may help more than any of those things are the non-physical things; a positive attitude, open-minded thinking, self-confidence and finding a few very special friends to surround yourself with, people you can open up to and who can open up to you as well, without questions, trustworthy and loyal. Sharing has its' own special healing power. The intangible things have a strong impact on a person's well-being. I am blessed with such friends in my life and I count myself lucky.

I had a successful surgery on Thursday. Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery. I woke up groggy, of course, and with a headache. But a little hydrocodone and that went away. Bleeding is slow but not bad. No real hangover from the general anesthesia either. It was actually a pretty easy experience.

I firmly believe my positive attitude going into the surgery, some earlier visulaizations of how I thought it would go and how I would feel fine afterwards, and the support from my close friends made it all go so easy. We all share some kind of unknown bond, a spiritual or ethereal connection with one another. That may not be a scientific fact but it is a firm belief of mine. And it is a belief of many religions and cultures throughout the world. Whether it be through prayer or meditation or a hands-on-healing experience, there is a powerful positive force in friendship and in love.

Support from friends comes directly through encouraging words; a hug, a smile, a knowing look, a kiss on the cheek, a pat on the back, an e-mail, a phone call, an unselfish act of kindness. It can also come through the ether, through the thoughtwaves or the airwaves or the spiritual waves. The bonds between people , the spiritual connections of closeness and support and caring can occur at long distances, without words or touch or sight, when the bonds between them are strong and positive and good. You can feel the presence of another close by, even if that person is far away, if you share that special bond. It is a wonderful feeling.

I'd like to add that I don't think this connection is limited to humans. I think it can also apply to a human and his pet. It supersedes species. I have a dog, Luna, who is closer to me than I would have ever thought possible. She knows how I feel, I can see it in her eyes and sense it through her very being. She comforts me when I'm down and I comfort her when she's down. There is a special bond between us and I am happy to share with her.

I have a lot to be thankful for in my life. I think I have had some influence on making good things happen but some of it is luck or fate or chance. And I think a lot of luck or fate or chance has to do with good friends and good relations and good karma. And good karma is easy when you have good friends. I thank all of my friends for being my friends from the bottom of my humble, grateful heart.

OH


Comments:
What a wonderful way to say "Happy Birthday" to someone! I am glad your surgery went well and I wanted to tell you that I can't wait to see if your sense of smell or tastebuds work better than they did before. You have a great weekend Stan.

Gee
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?